Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:50:12 -0500
From:      Scott Gregory <bsdbox@citizen.infi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Detecting loss of Network Connection

To All,

Are there any tools or utilities that I can use to detect when a network
connection has been lost?

I need a way to determine the loss of a network connection so I can kick
off a script that will reconfigure an IP alias to another NIC and change
some IPFW rules if my main NIC goes down (or the switch it connects to
dies).

Has anyone already created a tool that will do this?  This solution
would have to be light on system resources since it would need to run
every couple seconds (at a maximum).

Thanks,

Scott