Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:14:17 -0500
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "Being a port maintainer" document

Matt,

> I have some very  basic C/C++ skills but am reluctant to take on
> maintainership(?) of any  ports for fear of lack of skill.

I have no such fear and rely on my relationship with the original
developer(s) to help with build or runtime issues I can't fix or answer on
the couple of ports I maintain. Then again, I maintain easy ports which
probably aren't used by too many folks.

So, go far it and take maintainership. If it gets too much, you can give it
up without shame.

-Andrew-
| -Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines@halplant.com  |
| "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary |
|  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin, 1759 |