Date:      Sat, 23 May 2020 14:18:47 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Missing /dev/io on rpi3 running 12-stable

On 2020-May-20, at 11:16, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 07:09:11PM +0200, Mika??l Urankar wrote:
>> Le mer. 20 mai 2020 ?? 18:46, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> a =
??crit :
>>>=20
>>> Is there supposed to be a /dev/io by default in FreeBSD on a Pi3?
>>> Attempts to start X under 12.1-STABLE r361271 GENERIC fail with
>>> a report of "failed to open /dev/io". There is indeed no /dev/io,
>>> but there's also no /dev/io on a pi2 running 12-stable.
>>>=20
>>> Nor does there seem to be  a kernel module with matching name....
>>>=20
>>> Thanks for reading!
>>>=20
>>> bob prohaska
>>=20
>> I haven't looked closely but it seems the error is in
>> x11-servers/xorg-server/files/configure.ac, AC_DEFINE(USE_DEV_IO)
>>=20
>=20
> Alas, the remedy does not suggest itself, at least not to me....
>=20
> Can somebody offer a hint?

Only partially . . .

I've got a RPi3 going and:

A) It has the xf86EnableIO routine that would try
   the open and call xf86Msg to report the issue.

B) Setting a breakpoint on xf86EnableIO and running
   never triggers the breakpoint in my context.

So having USE_DEV_IO defined is not sufficient to see
the problem.

You have one context that gets the problem and another
that does not (changing users).

Overall suggests that there is some login-specific
configuration is controlling which way it works at
runtime.

A possibility here is:

QUOTE
20200220:
  AFFECTS: users of x11-servers/xorg-server
  AUTHOR: zeising@FreeBSD.org

  x11-servers/xorg-server has been updated to 1.20.7.

  With this update, xorg-server has switched from using the devd backend =
  the udev backend for device configuration on FreeBSD 12 and 13.  If =
you have
  issues with input devices, please see the install message for details.

  The HAL backend option has been completely removed, as it was =
deprecated.

  If you have problems with input devices, ensure that both x11/libinput =
and
  x11-drivers/xf86-input-libinput are installed.  They are installed in =
the
  default configuration, but if you have a custom configuration, they =
might not
  be.
END QUOTE

Are you using udev in both user contexts? devd? A mix across the =
contexts?
I'm consistently using udev.

This does seem to match up with what you have reported in that the
context that worked had the below message (for example) but the
failing one did not:

[253234.564] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input =
devices.
       If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable =
AutoAddDevices.

The message was before reporting the "Module ABI versions" information.

So your failing context is either devd based or still has the =
environment
configured for HAL or is otherwise messed up such that udev is not in
use.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com