Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:08:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   docs/7012: Screen and Linux login

>Number:         7012
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Screen and Linux login
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

Some people who don't use X report difficulty when telnetting to Linux
machines where their default setup is VT100.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

Suggested addition to FAQ:

When I telnet to a Linux machine the screen doesn't redraw correctly.

It sounds like you are set up for VT100 on the Linux system, and cons25 on
the FreeBSD system, so they have different ideas of how to use the screen.

If you only need the compatibility occasionally, there are two quick
methods available:

1. Work from an xterm.

2. If X is unavailable, run 'screen' (install from the packages collection)
   before running telnet or ssh from the console. This will give you a
   temporary VT100 that remote Linux apps work very well with.
   To exit screen afterwards, simply type 'exit'.