Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:22:33 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Reichmuth, Philipp" <p.reichmuth@gtw-bonn.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Macintosh/FreeBSD printing question

"Reichmuth, Philipp" writes:

> Now I've got a laser printer that I want to attach to the BSD machine for
> shared print services. Having the Windows machine print on the BSD box is
> not a problem using Samba, but how do I enable AppleTalk print services on
> the BSD machine?
>
> Or is there any other way, such as a Mac driver for lp-based print servers?

Yes, the current Macintosh Laserwriter (Postscript) print drivers know
how to talk to lpd daemons. When I last needed that feature it wasn't
available.

When one has a choice the best thing to do is get a laser printer with
ethernet interface. Then the Mac has no problems printing to it directly
speaking native protocols. Many Postscript printers that don't have
ethernet do have LocalTalk. You might consider a LocalTalk network just
for the Macs to print.

A Postscript printer hosted on FreeBSD using the netatalk port (so the
FreeBSD system will speak Apple's network protocols and services) is
not an ideal solution. Some applications, namely Adobe Acrobat Reader
require a bi-directional connection to a Postscript interpreter in
order to print. So I did as I suggested above, my Mac and FreeBSD
system were at the same desk. The Mac got a PhoneNet/LocalTalk link to
the printer, the FreeBSD system got a parallel port connection. The
printer is an Apple Personal Laserwriter NTR. The Mac happily speaks
TCP/IP out ethernet, and AppleTalk thru the LocalTalk wire. The only
problem with this is that the FreeBSD system couldn't do AppleShare
file serving as it was not on the wire the Mac was looking.

If the printer is not Postscript then you'll have to make it look that
way with Ghostscript.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net