Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2012 15:49:54 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@lajt.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stop  and start X server in FreeBSD 9.0

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 15:33:50 +0200, Istvan Gabor wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I configured FreeBSD 9.0 RELEASE with X starting automatically at boot.
> I use kdm3 login manager, and it works.
> I would like to make changes to xorg.conf and test the effects.
> How can I stop X in a terminal temporarily?
> If I kill kdm it is restarted immediately.

For the desired test scenario, I'd suggest to disable KDE
(kdm) startup in /etc/rc.conf, and finally stop the related
service (from /usr/local/etc/rc.d probably). Then you can
easily use the "startx" command to start an X session from
a user's VT, test your settings, terminate the session,
and you'll be back in text mode.

If you are happy with your settings, re-enable KDE (kdm)
by the corresponding /etc/rc.conf entry.

> In openSUSE I could do this by switchiong runlevels but
> I learned that FreeBSD has no runlevels.

Yes, FreeBSD uses the rc.d mechanism (see "man 8 rc" for details).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany