Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:12:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Oliver Fehr" <Oliver.Fehr@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Linux

Oliver Fehr writes:
 > Hi.
 > I've been playing around with Linux on my DEC PWS 500a it worked really well.
 > Since I know FreeBSD for Intel quite a bit a would like to do my machine a favour and
 > install it.
 > Is this machine type supported and are there any caveats?

Some:

- you'll need to use the SRM console.  That means you need to have a
supported scsi card to be able to boot it.   Like the DEC OEM qlogic
isp1040.  If you have a newer machine with the scsi chip on the
motherboard, you should be OK.

- there's currently no IDE support, so an atapi cdrom, for example,
won't work

- there's no support for floppies (but you *CAN* boot off a floppy,
you just cannot use it once the kernel is loaded).

- so far, there's not much in the way of ISA support beyond keyboard &
mouse.

Other than that, it works great.  A 500au is my main FreeBSD/alpha
development machine..

Drew