Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 07:25:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        jase@clearsail.net (Jason McNew)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: '98 and and the FreeBSD bootloader

In a previous message, Jason McNew said:
> Hey, I was running a '98 (beta), NT 4.0, FreeBSD tri-boot.
> When I booted my computer I'd get a choice between dos and freebsd..
> then if I chose dos then the nt boot menu would come up..
> When '98 full came out, I upgraded to it and it puked on the FreeBSD
> boot loader (but the NT one survived just fine....) and now it just
> comes up to the NT boot menu. How can I fix this and get the freebsd one
> back?  I suspect fowl play on microsoft's part... but not much I can do
> now.

Yes, this is intensional. Microsoft can't imagine why anyone would want
to have anything but a standard boot block that points to itself.

There are 2 solutions. You can go get booteasy or OSBS off the CD (or
it's on the ftp site). and reinstall from a DOS boot floppy. Or you can
look in the Handbook, and it will explain to you how to insert FreeBSD
into the NT boot screen.

Paul.

--
"History: Those who ignore it are condemned to repeat it.  Math, too."
 - From the comic strip "Betty"