Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:25:19 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <iceberg@pobox.com>
To:        paradive <james@enfect.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: src?

> uh, i have a fairly new install (4.1-RELEASE) and i have nothing in
> /usr/src. i want to add a line in GENERIC to support my sound
> card. can i do this in config? or do i need to download the src feom
> somewhere?

Sound card support is not included in the GENERIC kernel, so you'll
(as you guessed) have to compile your own.  Use /stand/sysinstall to
install the system sources (unless you're worried about hard drive
space, just have it install all the sources; then you can do source
upgrades later).  Then, check out the FreeBSD Handbook:

  file:/usr/share/doc/handbook/index.html

specifically chapter 7 for information on making a custom kernel.

Lucas