Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:02:56 -0400
From:      "David B" <odyseus00@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IP NAT AND internal servers

Sorry, if this is a bone-headed question,
I normally search for the answers but I am not exactly sure of that
which I am searching, so a bit of direction or a complete
answer would be nice.

So I have a routed DSL connection, with a single static address,
the DSL modem/router has an integrated 4-switch.
My question is how should I setup my IPs for my server box, so
things work well.

The DSL router does NAT/PAT and I have all ports forwarded? to
the server(private IP), the router/modem/switch is assigned the
static IP (public IP). So I have one issue at hand but am thinking
how to best configure things so that perhaps will not have this
issue with other software packages.

Issue at hand is IMP and apache, when IMP redirects the page on
login it goes no further because the it takes the IP of the server
box 10.0.0.1 rather than the public IP say 67.3.4.45, I am not
sure if I am explaining correctly.
                       Inet

                  +-----------+
                  | 67.3.4.45 | modem/router(my WAN ip)
                  +-----------+
                   | | |     |
                   other     |
                   hosts     |       +--------+ web/imap/smtp
                             |-------|10.0.0.1| server
                                     +--------+

So I am wondering can/should I IP alias the NIC to my static IP?
Should I edit hosts  to be something like
127.0.0.1  localhost   serverbox   67.3.4.45   ??
Or is this something that I will have to make config changes and
or hacks to every software package that doesn't work with the
servers IP being a private IP(different from the Public IP).
Is there something else of which I am not thinking?
What is all the methodology behind how this should be done/works
and where can I read about it (especially real world solutions)?

I have no domain registered as of yet but will be doing name
based vhosts in the future, I have to work with only one
static IP. And in the future the above server will be a
gateway to more servers on a switch all using private
addresses (you know divide up the task between diffrent
boxes).

Sorry for being long winded and overly broad but I am not
sure of the concepts and more particularly their application.

Thanks,

David Burton
(please CC me)