Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 13:12:14 -0559 (CST)
From:      "Boyd R. Faulkner" <faulkner@asgard.bga.com>
To:        kmitch@vt.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Socks 5 question

According to Keith Mitchell:

> After working out some of the shared library stuff in Socks 5, I was able to
> get it to work (sort-of).  My setup is a Socks 5 server through a Socks 4
> server then to the internet.  The first problem is that I can reach the
> internet, but the connection has some sort of "garbage" and a telnet connection
> will immediately close after the login prompt (^D is getting sent??).

I don't know.  I haven't gotten that far but I haven't had the need either.

> The other problem lies in the ld.so area.  Socks 5 tries to get the shared
> library to preload before any of the rest of the libraries (has socksified
> version of connect, etc in its shared library that need to overide the ones
> in libc).  It tries to do this via an environment varieable LD_PRELOAD, which
> does not exist under FreeBSD.  Is there any other way of achieving the same
> result??
>
> BTW I am running 2.1.0-RELEASE

I thought about that one the other day and given what little I know about
FreeBSD's shared libraries, I don't think you can do this.  You should be
able to build a socksified libc and fix runsocks to pick it up instead of
the regular libc.

This should have been possible with socks4 as well.  It is only useful
for using precompiled stuff so you don't need it if you can link against
the static lib.

Boyd

        Boyd Faulkner            "The fates lead him who will;
   faulkner@asgard.bga.com       Him who won't, they drag."
http://asgard.bga.com/~faulkner  Old Roman Saying -- Source:  Joseph Campbell