Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:45:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Brian D. Woodruff" <wood@eris.quintessential.com>, "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 UNstable

On Sunday, 28 March 1999 at 16:38:45 -0600, Brian D. Woodruff wrote:

>>> yup. "dangerously dedicated" FreeBSD ones, no boot manager, cos we *LIKE*
>>> being dangerously dedicated.

>> I've found that dangerously dedicated fails much more often than just
>> making a FBSD (165) slice, even when it's the whole disk. You'll often
>> run into geometry problems this way. Which, btw, I suspect in this case.
>
> "dangerously dedicated" *IS* a 165 FreeBSD slice, so called because you
> can't share it with another operating system, and no, that was not the
> problem.

Well, no, "dangerously dedicated" refers to the complete drive layout,
not the slice.  The important thing is that it fakes a partition table
in the first block of the file system (the PDP-11 memorial boot block :-)

> THIS was the problem ...
>
> If you want to get 3.1-RELEASE or 3.1-STABLE (which is currently a link
> back to 3.1-RELEASE), you MUST use the floppy disks for 3.1-RELEASE,
> because the install program puts its own kernel loader on the hard disk,
> regardless whether it is appropriate for the kernel it is installing. The
> resultant error message is "invalid format!" if you use the wrong loader.
> This also happens if you try to upgrade using /stand/systinstall on any
> previous version of FreeBSD, including 3.0!

This, on the other hand, is useful information.

>  - please see my lengthy post on the list for details.

I didn't.  When did you send it?

Greg