Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 23:03:40 -0700
From:      Chris Browning <brownie@earthling.net>
To:        Ben Black <black@zen.cypher.net>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quad Pro 150 motherboard?

Ben,

> i think a good rul eof thumb is about 256K per 64MB RAM (except for
> servers or where bus speeds far exceed RAM speeds).

Hmm, I don't quite buy this.  First off, what does cache size have
to do with memory size?  There may be some "general" corrilation in
a uniprocessor system, but that is less of a concern in MP
environments.  The important factor is bus contention, since you have
2-4 (in PPP's case) high speed processors all fighting over the same
bus.  I believe it is more the case that you want your cache size
to grow as a function of the # of processers and with a bus utilization
factor thrown in there.  Also, the bus speed in servers is typically
the same as all other systems, so I don't get the comparison to
RAM speeds.  Commodity servers use the same RAM speed and bus speed as
desktop machines.

> so, 4 CPUs with 256K
> cache should be fine in non-server configs.  the 512K P6 chips are just

Well, 4 CPUs IS currently a server configuration.  As I mentioned
before, all the >2way systems I know of are servers.  Granted, these
can also make kick-butt workstations, that is not what they were
designed for.  In addition, 256k is not enough cache for a PPP system
for a 4 way system no matter what "configuration" it is.  You will
get a performance hit because of the bus contention.

> not cost effective.  last week i ordered a P6-150 for $165.  tough to
> beat that.

That is a good deal.  Of course, you loose about 10% of your bus
bandwidth running the bus at 60MHz instead of 66MHz (which is what
the 150 MHz runs at).