Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 17:54:38 -0600
From:      Victor Carranza <victorc@BitSmart.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to apply a patch to kernel?

Hi!

I am trying to configure a 3.1-RELEASE machine as a transparent web
caching proxy with squid. In the squid documentation, specifically at
http://squid.nlanr.net/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html#ss17.6  under "Configuring
FreeBSD", it states that a patch must be applied to the kernel for GRE
support. I have downloaded the patch from there, but now I don't know
what the heck to do with the file  :(
I tried to copy gre.patch to /sys/i386/conf and run  patch <gre.patch ,
but no success.
What is the correct way to apply that patch?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Victor Carranza