Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:54:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sophos and Virus return mail

Great discussion going on about Sophos and Amavis!

This may be something I'm missing, but there are several
virii that apparently send no "envelope from" address when
they generate virus mail. One that comes to mind is the
stupid "Snow White" thing.

I went through the Amavis scan script and I see that if
there is no "envelope from" address, it punts and sends
the warning to "MAILER-DAEMON". This means you get a
bazillion of these messages every day (We seem to have
employees who appear in the address books of people with
this virus!). Also, the person with the virus does not
get the warning mail.

I thought of rewriting the script to use the "From: " address
to reply. I think that would usually work, but I'm not sure
that address always appears either.

Anyone done anything with this?

Thanks,

Jim Durham