Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:27:42 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Larry McVoy's slides on cache coherent clusters

Jonathan Lemon wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 01:20:33PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > My personal target rests above NUMA, where there are relatively
> > glacially slow communications channels, compared to CPU speed;
> > this is basically the environment in which, for example, you
> > have literally millions of processors operating from incomplete
> > information with potentially lossy communications channels.
>
> A.K.A. "The Internet".

Actually, a worse communication vs. CPU speed ratio than that,
eventually.  There are a couple of problems that can only be
solved with an architecture that assumes a progression of the
ratio.

I think Larry persuasively demonstrates that there is a hierarchy
in communications channels vs. CPU speed that is not accounted for
in most OS design.  My scale ("Lambert's Interconnection Scale"?  8-))
would be:

----	----	----------	-----------------------------------
CPUS	DIES	SEPERATION	NAME
----	----	----------	-----------------------------------
1	1	0		Processing (8-))
N	1	0		SMT
N	M	1		SMP
N	M	2		NUMA
N	M	3		Distributed (full information)
N	M	4		Distributed (partial information)
N	M	5		Distributed (partial functionality)
----	----	----------	-----------------------------------

The hardware DES breaker that was built as a proof of concept was
purpose-built hardware with a seperation of 2.

The 65,536 processor machine that Good Year built for modelling
laminar airflow on the full shuttle airframe was purpose built
hardware with a seperation of 2.  So were most of the Connection
Machine series from Thinking Machines, Inc..

SETI@Home is a purpose-built machine with a seperation of 3, and so
are the protein folding and crypto-breaking and similar systems.

The Javalin research project was a virtual machine general purpose
computing platform with a seperation of 3.

One of the things that Kazaa is attempting is to build a general
purpose computing platform -- a real machine -- with a seperation of
3 (whether they realize this or not is another matter).

Larry's presentation claims (in slide 11) that the traditional MP
approach has been to "build a solution, and scale it up", e.g.:

	``We're at 2, can you get to 4?''
	``We're at 4, can you get to 8?''
	Etc.

And then he asks:

	``Can you go 3 orders of magnitude farther?''

Which is maybe the wrong question; it pegs your initial position
farther out on the incrementalism scale, but doesn't answer the
question of how to get from N to N+1 for an arbitrary N.

-- Terry