Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:50:37 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sensors fun..

On Thursday 18 October 2007 07:39:49 am Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> To me it looks like your proposal spans more than one of the above
> described layers in one package. It seems you describe what I call
> single-system sensors framework above. It looks like you want to have
> this with parts of it in the kernel. I don't think this is a good idea
> as I don't think userland data should be feed into the kernel. Could
> you please describe where you see benefits of your architecture
> compared to the description I provided above?

Nowhere do I suggest to feed userland data into the kernel just so it can be
reexported to userland.  Instead, I think the "public" interface that systat,
monitoring daemons, SNMP, etc. should be a userland interface that can have
multiple backends.  It can pull data from a sensor implemented in userland or
a sensor implemented in the kernel.

--
John Baldwin