Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:12:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two routes to world?

On 12-Mar-99 Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 March 1999 at 16:47:29 -0500, Patrick Gardella wrote:
>> I'm out of my experience range here.  One of our clients is switching from a
>> dial-up account (ppp) to ADSL.  Currently all the mail comes in through the
>> ppp link.  What we want to do is route traffic coming in from ppp to go back
>> out ppp, and anything else to go via the ADSL.  Can this be done?
>
> Yes.

Good!

>> Diagram (with fake IPs)
>>
>> 10.0.0.2 (old)      10.0.0.1
>> 192.0.0.3 (new)
>> FreeBSD      --->   ISP #1  (All email coming from this route now)
>> dynamic IP
>>  | This is the new link we want to make
>> ADSL router  --->   ISP #2
>> 192.0.0.2           192.0.0.1
>>
>> The default gateway is pointing to the ppp link.  (default = 10.0.0.1)
>>
>> If I ping through the new IP 192.0.0.2, it tries to respond through
>> the 10.0.0.1 route.
>
> You can't influence the path the response takes.  That is determined
> outside your installation.

So is this why when I ping 192.0.0.2 I never get a response?  But if I
traceroute, I do?

>> We don't want to lose any of the email coming through the ppp link
>> while the DNS changes are propogating down.
>
> What DNS changes are you making?

The FreeBSD machine is running sendmail and acting as a email-to-fax gateway.
So mail gets routed to the FreeBSD machine by means of the domain name of the
web site (on another server).

>> Would this be as simple as:
>>
>> route add default 192.0.0.1 -net 192.0.0
>
> It might be as simple as doing nothing.

Not in this case.  I cannot access the FreeBSD machine through the 10.0.xxx.xxx
address.  Every other machine in the office using the 10.0.xxx.xxx addresses I
can access through the 10.0.xxx.xxx link.

> I'm having difficulty understanding what you're trying to do here.  Do
> you intend to keep the PPP link?  It doesn't seem to make sense.  If
> you're only concerned about the transition, you shouldn't have a
> problem.  If both connections are to ISPs (in other words, to the
> Internet), and *their* routing is correct, you can use either
> interface as the default and the data will get there.  It'll get there
> faster via the ADSL line, of course, even if you're picking up mail
> from the old ISP.

We will definately drop the ppp link as soon as possible, but since the email
gets sent to the static IP given by the ppp ISP, I can't just drop it, or all
that email will never make it to the right place.

But let me see if I understand you right.  If I switch the default route to the
ADSL line, we will still get traffic inbound on the ppp line, but all outbound
traffic will go through the ADSL line?  Sendmail won't complain about this?

Patrick

---
Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9