Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:11:03 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@AUSS2.ALCATEL.COM.AU>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: zone: entry not free

Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
>    there are simply not enough sanity checks being made in the kernel.

There is a trade off between the amount of sanity checking and
performance.  We need to make sure that any sanity checking we add
doesn't make the system unusably slow or adversely impact interrupt
response.

It's up the the relevant developers to make sure that a `reasonable'
level of sanity checking is done.

And later
>    It goes without saying that users catch almost as many bugs as developers,

Possibly more - there are more of them and they are likely to be
stressing the system in unexpected (to the developer) ways.

>    Therefore, my preference is to turn invariants on on all my production
>    kernels as well as my development kernels.

This means that invariants need to add relatively little overhead.

Peter