Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:49:00 -0500
From:      David Duchscher <daved@tamu.edu>
To:        Bruno Ducrot <ducrot@poupinou.org>
Cc:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Monitoring temperature with acpi (sysctls)

--Apple-Mail-1--461118532
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On Jul 26, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Bruno Ducrot wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 11:51:25AM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
>> I need to be able to get the cpu and fan information from my
>> motherboard, however none of the monitoring utilities in the ports
>> seems
>> to support my motherboard (Supermicro PDSMi, Intel E7230 (Mukilteo)
>> Chipset). On my older VIA based motherboards and some Nvidia, i
>> can get
>> this information using ACPI and the hw.acpi.thermal sysctl. This
>> however
>> is not available on this motherboard. Would this be a shortcoming
>> of the
>> motherboards ACPI implementation, or a lack of support by freebsd?
>
> Does this one support IPMI?

Yes, the Supermicro PDSMi supports the IPMI 2.0 module and I can
confirm that it works with the IPMI ported driver from current on
6.1.  The module is optional so you will have to purchase one for
the system, around 0. You will also need the latest BIOS loaded on
the motherboard for it to work.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-IPMI20-E.cfm

--
DaveD