Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:16:23 +0800
From:      "Daniel Marsh" <jahilliya@gmail.com>
To:        weif@weif.net
Cc:        bh@izb.knu.ac.kr, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't upgrade - catch-22

On 10/27/07, Keith Seyffarth <weif@weif.net> wrote:

> > > On FreeBSD before 6.2 ports system unfortunately can not set default
> > > X11BASE by itself so please help it a bit by setting
> > > X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} in make.conf.
> > > On the other hand, if you do wish to use non-default X11BASE, please
> > > set variable USE_NONDEFAULT_X11BASE.
> > >
> > > However, even if I edit /etc/make.conf and add either
> > > X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} or X11BASE=/usr/X11R6, I still get this
> > > error.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions or recommendations on how to get ruby installed? I
> > > think once I have that installed, I should be able to get port-upgrade
> > > fixed and then maybe be able to get some patches downloaded... I would
> > > really appreciate any tips or suggestions.
> > >
> > > output of uname -a:
> > > FreeBSD computer.weif.net 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov
> > > 3 09:36:13 UTC 2005
> > > root@x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
> >
> > There was major change about Xorg; For more details, plase see here:
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2007-May/001131.html
> >
> > I think the upgrade was/is mandatory, not optional ;;
>
> Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it isn't really very helpful. I
> guess I didn't clarify the catch-22 in my previous post.
>
> In order to get X upgraded, I need to get portupgrade working. This
> requires that X already be upgraded. This, in return requires
> portupgrade...
>
> I was starting with trying to get Ruby because that addressed the
> vulnerabilities I was trying it initially address. However, that's
> pretty irrelevant at the moment.
>
> Where I'm stuck is getting either portupgrade working or getting X
> upgraded, both of which seem to be dependent on the other having
> already happened...
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

Why don't you just manually remove Xorg and then install it with
portinstall?
ie. pkg_delete -f xorg\*

That'll remove all packages that start with the characters xorg.
Install the newer version of Xorg then upgrade portupgrade, then upgrade the
packages that depended on xorg.

It's probably not as simple as portupgrade, but you'll probably have more
luck.