Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:53:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>, David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm balance

:
:In message <200104121757.f3CHvJd20639@earth.backplane.com>, Matt Dillon writes:
:
:>    Again, keep in mind that the namei cache is strictly throw-away, but
:>    entries can often be reconstituted later by the filesystem without I/O
:>    due to the VM Page cache (and/or buffer cache depending on
:>    vfs.vmiodirenable).  So as with the buffer cache and inode cache,
:>    the number of entries can be limited without killing performance or
:>    scaleability.
:
:Uhm, that is actually not true.
:
:We keep namecache entries around as long as we can use them, and that
:generally means that recreating them is a rather expensive operation,
:involving creation of vnode and very likely a vm object again.

    The vnode cache is a different cache.   positive namei hits will
    reference a vnode, but namei elements can be flushed at any
    time without flushing the underlying vnode.

					-Matt