Date:      Sun, 02 Aug 1998 16:31:19 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI and de0

Mike Smith writes:
> > The VL Adaptec appears to work but won't boot my 4G IBM DCAS HD. Wonder
> > if 4G was too much for it. Or "geometry" or something is wrong. Only
> > mention this because the Adaptec was on IRQ 15. Noticed de0 was also
> > getting IRQ 15. This is with 2.2.7-RELEASE. But couldn't ifconfig de0
> > because "interface does not exist". Yet it was listed in dmesg.
>
> Don't confuse the PCI probe enumerating the device with the device
> working OK.  This sounds like simple misconfiguration on your part; you
> can't share an IRQ between an ISA and PCI device, and with the IRQ that
> you've configured the Adaptec for, it's not being routed correctly.
> (BIOS setup error).

There were 3 ways the probes responded to my de0. One didn't see it at
all. Another assigned it to IRQ 15 same as the VL-bus Adpatec was hard
jumpered to use. And the 3rd was as shown with "irq ??"

I wasn't trying to share an IRQ between a PCI device and anything else.
It did it all by itself. And I was asking how to control it. Not
knowing how to change the 21040 IRQ, I changed the Adaptec:

> > So I got the great idea to move the Adaptec IRQ to 10. This time dmesg
> > doesn't list the de0 at all.
> >
> > Removed the Adaptec and now the de0 is detected but looks like this:
> > de0 <Digital 21040 Ethernet> rev 0 int a irq ?? on pci0:14:0
> > pci_map_port failed: not configured by bios.
>
> This is your problem.  Try turning the "PnP OS installed" option off.

Ah, a clue! OTOH its a 1994 BIOS with a last rev date of 1996. Not so
sure it has PnP. It does have the AMI "WinBIOS".

> Interesting that the collection of boards that have this behaviour are
> just hitting the collection of users that have to ask about it.  I'm
> sure there's something profound to be derived from this.

Duh? I've had the card for 2 years. It has never been installed anywhere
but on this cheap UMC-based MB. It (de0) worked with FreeBSD 2.2.2. On
removal of the VL-bus Adpatec the only remaining thing changed in
hardware has been an upgrade from 16 MB plain non-parity memory to 32 MB
of EDO.

How do I query my local cvs archive for a history of changes in the de
driver? The syntax escapes me. But I have figured out how to checkout
versions as of a certain date. Shooting for that date isn't any fun.

Will look for PnP. Will try selecting "BIOS Defaults" too as others
have suggested. Won't be near that machine again until Thursday.
Meanwhile it continues to run off the ISA NE2000.