Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:05:18 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        dirk@freebsd.org
Subject:   So what do you think of my suggestions?

I'm trying to come up with a general way to handle what is an exceptional
case ($Id$ in a patch) made even more exceptional by the fact that I'm
mirroring the repo, not the ports dir.

I'd be amenable to a change to the ports repo on FreeBSD that would
propogate, but unfortunately that can't happen, since the
determination of what tags are expanded or not is in files in CVSROOT,
which doesn't come over when you mirror. And even if it did, it has paths
in it that wouldn't translate, IIRC.

There is precedent for checking files in as binary:
[alane ~/.cvsup]$ find . -type f | xargs grep @b@
Binary file ./ports/devel/avr-libc/files/avr-lib.pdf,v matches
Binary file ./ports/japanese/rogue_s/files/mesg_fj.gz,v matches
./ports/x11-wm/afterstep/files/AFstep.xpm,v:expand      @b@;
Binary file ./ports/x11-wm/afterstep/files/monitor_bsd.xpm,v matches
./ports/x11-wm/afterstep/files/penguin.xpm,v:expand     @b@;
Binary file ./ports/x11-wm/afterstep-stable/files/monitor_bsd.xpm,v matches

It does seem that there a lot of patches with '$Id' in them, though.
138 of them. Urk.

So, I still think that adding @b@ to these as they cause problems is a
good idea.  And I still think that removing gratuitous $Id*$ tags from
patches is also a good idea.

And I think that adding a section on mirroring the repo itself with
cvsup and what needs to be set up there is also going to be a necessary
addition to the Porter's Handbook.

--
Alan Eldridge
"Dave's not here, man."