Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 2021 03:29:06 +0100
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>, FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>,  "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
Subject:   Re: drm-kmod kills FreeBSD

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 3:03 AM Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 20:09:49 -0500 (EST), Chris Hill wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Jan 2021, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> >
> > > You need to build and reinstall drm-kmod-g20190710 and
> > > drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20201016 manually from ports, so module gets
> > > 12.2 stuff in it, pkg installs binary that is built on 12.1 and will
> > > not work on 12.2 properly. This is a known issue and fix :-)
> >
> > Really! That's extremely helpful to know. Do I actually need both of
> > those? I'm not sure what the difference is.

Yes you need to rebuild and reinstall both of them (make clean
deinstall reinstall).

> do not mention drm-fbsd<version>-kmod at all. Maybe this was a thing
> specific to 12.0? Also the "legacy" / "old" differentiation has been
> removed (which is good - drm-kmod metaport containing the whole KMS
> driver collection - one package to rule them all).

This drm-fbsd<version>-kmod I would love to finally see evolved into
drm-fbsd12-kmod (not 12.0) if its about to run on all 12 versions not
12.0 only ;-)

This drm-kmod "metaport" did not re-work underlying fbsd12 port that I
had to reinstall manually ;-)

And yes I agree with previous Steve's statement that this port at this
point should be blacklisted from pkg build farm I even proposed this
solution once. Imagine you rebuild this port on 12.2 by hand and then
perform pkg update upgrade and it gets replaced with 12.1 binaries
over and over. It was also Steve (AFAIR) who pointed me pkg lock that
will prevent those two packages from being updated.

To be honest working on laptop got hard and slow and ugly enough to
move to a desktop, but there I have AMDGPU that randomly crashed my
whole system two or three times in a row and I stopped using it with a
monitor. All this Linux DRM feels like a one big 20 years back
regression but hey we have a bleeding edge development wow.

> Also check this list:
>         https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Intel-GPU-Matrix
> FreeBSD 11 - 13 should use drm-kmod. But none of the two pages says
> if it is okay to use the precompiled version, or if building it
> yourself with from your (current?) ports tree is required...

I have just requested account on wiki - admin @ freebsd.org this
clearly needs an update in several areas. I also plan to create
electronics engineering (EDA), embedded development, and ham radio
section :-)