Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 01:01:42 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com, uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, uhclem@nemes\is.lonestar.org
Subject:   Re: Can we create isa/matcd?

>Yes, I think it is a very sensible suggestion.  Either I or Jordan will
>work with you on this.

I was hoping matcd could be changed to be more like the other drivers
instead.  I don't like big drivers such as isa/sound/* and isa/pcvt/*.

matcd.c is inconsistent with most other drivers in its #include's.
#include'ing "options.h" will probably break when someone fixes option
handling in /usr/sbin/config, and #include'ing "creative.h" will break
if anyone writes a driver named `creative'.

See all the other drivers for examples (mostly bad :-]).  The SCSI
drivers somehow get by with not exporting any #defines.  I like this.
It helps to have an extra layer above the raw devices.  The fd
driver started right but now has ugly interfaces to the ft driver.
The sio driver has the chip-dependent and bus-dependent header
files more or less back to front.  The syscons driver ignores all
the keyboard #defines in ic/i8042.h and puts its own keyboard defines
in the wrong place (<machine/console.h>).

Bruce