Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 18:19:57 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Doug' <Doug@gorean.org>, chris@tourneyland.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Hoping to configure DNS

Ok... I'm not going to get in-depth into the how-to's, that's not quite why
I'm replying.

1.  All I'm going to say is that I used the man pages and Greg Lehey's "The
Complete FreeBSD" book and was able to setup bind on my small network w/o
any trouble.  So, if you don't want to read a "400 page book just to get DNS
up and running" then maybe you should get your hands on this all purpose
tome of knowledge instead.

2. If all you want is a text file that maps host names to ips, and don't
want to put in any effort, use /etc/hosts!

3. (This is for Doug) Does it matter for what reason he has decided to setup
a nameserver?  To my knowledge there isn't a huge difference between setting
up bind for 1000 machines or 5 machines, if they're all in the same domain.

Just my 2 cents,
-Chris

P.S.  Chris, yes it did sound unappreciative and trollish.  No one's going
to want to help you if you're going to whine about the answers you receive.
I'm sure we all feel your pain, but if it's too much of an undertaking,
don't undertake it.  :)