Date:      Sun, 06 May 2007 22:55:24 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        jgrosch@MooseRiver.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS tags

Josef Grosch wrote:
> I have been spending a lot of time building machines at work. Our engineers
> want to have the machine in question to have a specific version of FreeBSD,
> ie. FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p11 for example. I have noticed that there is not
> a CVS tag for this in the tree. Is there a specific reason why we do not
> tag the tree for the patch levels?

Yes; two reasons in fact:
1. Tagging the tree for every security update isn't feasible in CVS.
2. There is a branch available for "RELEASE plus the all available security
and critical errata fixes" (RELENG_X_Y for X.Y-RELEASE), and you should never
not install all available security and critical errata fixes.

Colin Percival
FreeBSD Security Officer