Date:      Sun, 07 Jun 1998 10:11:16 GMT
From:      310@ovb.ch (Oliver von Bueren)
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US West and RADSL (fwd)

On Sat, 06 Jun 1998 12:24:29 -0700, you wrote:

>I don't agree. "Let the phone companies...." has little meaning. What you
>suggest.. is
>that the phone company monopoly is a good thing. That the on-ramp to the
>Internet
>is a better serviced by the telephone company, and that the telephone company
>really should collect the local loop charges for access to all networks of the
>future.

Hey, I don't see it that way, beside I don't live in the USA. What you
say about the equipment in the COs to be installed by the individual
ISP doesn't make sense either. That's about the same as if you'd say
lets install the equipment to make ISDN connections from the COs to
the customers by some ISP to have their customer have ISDN access to
the pop. xDSL, which flavor will be a future standard is IMHO not very
clear by know, should become a standard like ISDN, which in turn is
very much one here in Europe.

In terms of ISDN this means that you have a digital end-to-end dialup
connection, error corrected and constant in its data rate, with a very
fast connect process (oposite to V90, aka x2/k56flex, which is doesn't
has all these features, is slower, has no constant data rate and is
much more error prone). That is what the goal of xDSL should be too,
with the small difference, it's faster!

So the approach that the telcos should pay to upgrade their COs is not
wrong, the only other thing is that the customer who gets such a line
should have the freedom to connect to anyone he likes with this line,
like ISDN but faster. This means that the COs have to route the
traffic through a net, say an ATM, to the desired ISP.

Conclusion: In the end the customer needs a xDSL enabled connection to
the COs and the ISP is probably connected through say an ATM link to
the telcos net.

This doesn't make it a monopoly for the telcos but gives the customer
the freedom to connect to the ISP he wants and lets him switch when he
wants.

Another thing, which is at least here in Switzerland at the current
time an option to connect to an ISP, is to get a cooper 2wire leased
line to an ISP and use one of the xDSL technologies to connect. This
is used as our telco(s) are still testing the new technology and
didn't deploy it up till now. But as a final solution, this isn't very
satisfying, as you're bound to one ISP and can't change without
rerouting the leased line by the telco to another destination, which
always cost you money.

       Cheers,
       Oliver