Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:42:54 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.1 on a 386

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> I could be wrong, but I thought that they finally gave up on 386 support and
> now the base minimum is 486.  It could very well be that you can't compile
> the system for a 386 without significant modification.

If this is the case, then the hardware notes need updated, I quote:
"All Intel processors beginning with the 80386 are supported, including the
80386, ..."
"While technically supported, the use of the 80386SX is specifically not
recommended."
That last sentence is slightly vague.  I assume that they recommend against
the 386 simply because it's not powerful enough to be worthwhile, but it
doesn't say specifically why.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies