Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 11:08:20 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, cshenton@apollo.hq.nasa.gov, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thoughts on the install and on Red Hat Linux.

sos@FreeBSD.ORG stands accused of saying:
> It might be "fancy looking" to have an install process running in X,
> BUT, gentlemen, keep in mind all the hassle we had when we said
> that 4M wasn't enough to boot the install disk !!

Nobody's suggesting an X-only install.  The talk has been around the
_desirability_ of tools that would allow utilities such as the installer
(and maybe other things) to use an X display, if it's available.
This leads, obviously, to mutterings about what _could_ be achieved
with an X-aware installer.

> My experience here tells me that the first thing many new users are
> going to do, is trying to install on the old 386 box over in the
> corner, and if we won't run resonably on that, forget it....

Experience here tells me that people who still have 'the old 386 in the
corner' are generally at least vaguely cluey, but people with a
"configuration #3" system from the local dealer will probably have 8M
and a monitor.

> I'm working on this for something entirely different, but I
> think it would do fine here, as well as for all those
> "sysadm" utils we can imagine to do.

If it's light and portable and works, it may well be a Good Thing.
Is there a demo we can play with somewhere, so that it's
possible to decide, and preferably sometime soonish?

> Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[