Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 02:28:01 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium CPU steppings

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >Hmm, I wonder if it's safe to test for this at the end of npx.c in the
> >kernel?
>
> Linux can do it, so why couldn't we ?

Yeah, but have you ever seen it report "yes"?  Last I checked, (2.0.twenty
something), the code looked very much like it hardwired the "fdiv bug
present?" result to "no" and I could not find any code in the kernel that
actually tested for the bug.  (That's not to say that there isn't, but the
only references to the variable that my grep turned up were the default
initialisation and the printing of the (bogus) result.)

Cheers,
-Peter