Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2012 17:03:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>, Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: NFS server bottlenecks

Outback Dingo wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
> wrote:

> >> Don't the mtx_lock() calls spin for a little while and then context
> >> switch if another thread still has it locked?
> >
> > Yes, but are in-kernel context switches also counted? I was assuming
> > they are light-weight enough not to count.
> >
> >> Hmm, I didn't look, but were there any tests using UDP mounts?
> >> (I would have thought that your patch would mainly affect UDP
> >> mounts,
> >>  since that is when my version still has the single LRU
> >>  queue/mutex.
> >
> > Another assumption - I thought UDP was the default.

TCP has been the default for a FreeBSD client for a long time. It was
changed for the old NFS client before I became a committer. (You can
explicitly set one or the other as mount options or check via wireshark/tcpdump)

> >>  As I think you know, my concern with your patch would be
> >>  correctness
> >>  for UDP, not performance.)
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Ive got a similar box config here, with 2x 10GB intel nics, and 24 2TB
> drives on an LSI controller.
> Im watching the thread patiently, im kinda looking for results, and
> answers, Though Im also tempted to
> run benchmarks on my system also see if i get similar results I also
> considered that netmap might be one
> but not quite sure if it would help NFS, since its to hard to tell if
> its a network bottle neck, though it appears
> to be network related.

NFS network traffic looks very different that a TCP stream (ala bit torrent
or ...). I've seen this cause issues before. You can look at a packet trace
in wireshark and see if TCP is retransmitting segments.

rick