Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 22:46:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Rick Siple <RickSiple@mpainc.com>
Subject:   RE: User PPP

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Rick Siple wrote:

> 	I am sorry to bother you again, but could you be more specific.
> I am not sure what 'CHAP doesn't present itself like PAP' and 'start PPP
> manually on the RAS server' mean.

No problem, I was a bit cryptic.  If I remember correctly, PAP-enabled PPP
clients send frames to the remote host when they connect asking to be
authenticated, but CHAP-enabled clients wait for the remote to send them a
frame before they attempt authentication.  NT may be expecting to be told
something rather than trying to find the client actively.

> 	I had user PPP working under 2.2.2 and 2.2.5 using either CHAP
> or PAP, I can't remember which as I tweaked the previous configuration
> several times.  Previously the 'enable CHAP/PAP', authname and authkey
> were sufficient.  I did not have to present a login, password, and then
> protocol as I saw somewhere in the documentation (FAQ or handbook).

Try using `term' to login manually and see if ppp can start packet mode
automatically.

Also try setting `set openmode active'.

NOTICE:  gdi.uoregon.edu is going down, please use dwhite@resnet!