Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 10:27:10 -0700
From:      erich@uruk.org
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you get the SMP code

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com> writes:

...[description of picking up the source tree deleted]...

I got the sources last week, but my main problem (still) has been setting
up a partition to do development on.  I haven't generally kept up with
-current, and the build environment changes so often I can't just
compile it on my server running FreeBSD.  (I also couldn't install a
newer version until I made the PCI probe fix recently...  my SMP test
box has LOTS of funky PCI devices and bridges in it, and crashes on all
the install distributions to date).

I'm also about to make a public release of the new bootloader I've been
working on.  That has consumed a lot of time as well.

Anyway, excuses aside :-) ...  this weekend I'll be able to go through the
whole process and get it working, as I'll have enough time in one place to
take down my server and install a recent distribution on the disk for my
SMP test box.

> then you check out the sys tree from it, compile a kernel with
> 	options	SMP
> 	options	"NCPU=2"
>
> Boot the kernel singleuser and then
> 	sysctl -w kern.smp_active=2
>
> Tell us how it works out :-)

I will.

I had re-written the probe and startup code for Linux-SMP, and am willing
to do so for FreeBSD (given that I don't mortally insult anyone :-).

Do you guys have any particular preference for how it's done in
FreeBSD ?

I already have part of a probe/activation sequence I was going to use
in Mach4, and it could be adapted pretty easily, I think.

It turns out that the whole "NCPU" thing in Linux was (and is, as I
have to submit patches because people are constantly breaking it)
a pain in the ass.

At the very least, it should be changed to "MAXCPU", with dynamic
activation of CPUs up to the maximum (this is what Linux does, though
they still call it NCPU).

Ideally (this is what I'm going to do for Utah's Mach4 distribution),
it should just be "options SMP" and dynamically allocate CPU structures
as necessary...  and if it doesn't find other an MPS configuration, it
will still function without getting confused by the possible lack of
a local APIC on the CPU.

--
  Erich Stefan Boleyn                 \_ E-mail (preferred):  <erich@uruk.org>
Mad Genius wanna-be, CyberMuffin        \__      (finger me for other stats)