Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 11:54:34 +0100
From:      Mark Blackman <tmb@rcru.rl.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing/Using Matlab for Linux on FreeBSD

This message is just for the mail archives for the purpose of
explaining what's involved in installing Matlab 5.2 (for Linux)
directly from CDROM onto a FreeBSD machine.  The following general
procedure worked for me on a 3.0-980520-SNAP release.

I'm assuming that you just need some pointers and don't need
everything spoonfed to you so I'm leaving out some of the more
bleedin' obvious things like, 'mount the cdrom' and 'use the main
shell script /cdrom/install' and 'make sure you've sorted out the
license file'.  I've also broken the instructions up into what a) you
need to do to install and b) what you need to change to use Matlab.

*****INSTALLING*****

The text installation utility (tsetup) will look for 'tar' in
'/bin/tar' rather than '/usr/bin/tar' and setting up a symbolic link
let me install everything.  It will also look for a '/bin/uname'
binary that returns 'Linux'. To install directly from the CDROM it
appears that you need only to do the following (as root).

1) install a temporary fake (shell script) version of /bin/uname that
   returns 'Linux' and '2.0.18' when required. something like...

#!/bin/sh

if ( [ $# -eq 0 ] )
then echo Linux
else echo 2.0.18
fi

2) temporarily link /bin/tar to /usr/bin/tar
3) run "/cdrom/install -t", instead of the graphical install
   (which seems to core dump).
4) when the install finishes, wipe out the '/bin/uname' script
   and the link '/bin/tar'.

***** USING MATLAB *****

5) in the matlab script $MATLAB/bin/util/arch.sh change the two
   occurrences of '/bin/uname' to '/usr/bin/uname'.

6) In the same matlab script $MATLAB/bin/util/arch.sh change the lines ..

               Linux)
                    Arch="lnx86"
                    ;;

               Linux|FreeBSD)
                    Arch="lnx86"
                    ;;

In general, do everything else as the instructions suggest. You do
have to be willing to do a little thinking for this procedure though.

Cheers,
Mark Blackman