Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:25:19 -0500
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
Subject:   Re: FTP installation from the floppies through ADSL modem with PPPoE or PPTP  protocol.

Darren wrote:
>Andrew wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Asker wrote:
>>>The modem can be configured to use PPPoE or PPTP protocol for making the
>>>connection with my Internet Servise Provider.
>>
>> Well if the modem does PPPoE itself (and preusmably NAT) then you need no
>> speical support from the OS. From its poitn of view you are just conencted
>> via ethernet.
>
>If you need the machine to do PPPoE, ppp supports PPPoE.  For this to
>work, though, you need netgraph, which isn't in GENERIC.  You will need
>to make a custom kernel and build your own set of custom floppies.

Happily, kernel configuration is no longer necessary for PPPoE. If the
necessary netgraph support is not built into the kernel, it will be
dynamically loaded by ppp (See handbook section on PPPoE).

I have Earthlink and their modems do not have integral PPPoE or NAT but it
is possible to connect with Sysinstall and install via FTP.  Granted, it
is not straightforward since the ethernet device and ppp have to be
configured prior to starting the installation.

I kept a few notes and dressed them up a little on how to do an FTP
install using PPPoE:

    http://www.treefort.org/~rpratt/pppoe/article.html

They could probably use some more work, but they should be usable.

Hope this helps the original poster.

Randy