Date:      Tue, 04 Dec 2001 15:53:01 -0900
From:      Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Prevalence of FreeBSD and UNIX among servers

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Tim writes:
>
> > Samba doesn't emulate anything. It's a perfectly
> > usable implementation of SMB, aka CIFS.
>
> What about NT domain credentials, permissions, and ACLs?

There's been work at implementing some of this in Samba - you'd have to
check their website for the latest, it's been a while since I looked.
We use Samba on Solaris at my very large State office.  As a user I do
not miss anything.  There used to be a NT authentication server, but the
admins who inherited it, dumped it.  The only Win2K servers we have are
for specific apps that do not run under Solaris.  Either way, _users_
don't notice any difference, maybe admins do?