Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2012 20:19:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
To:        Jason Usher <jusher71@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chaining JBOD chassic to server ... why am I scared ?   (ZFS)

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, Jason Usher wrote:

> But this scares me ...
>
> - two different power sources - so the "head unit" can lose power
> independent of the JBOD device ... how well does that turn out ?

Most of your concerns are things which have been normal for fiber
channel based arrays for quite a few years already.  SAS cables are
shorter so there is a better chance that everything is on the same
power and in the same rack.

>From my limited experience, getting everything on the same power helps
with managing things.

> Just how well does ZFS v28 deal with these kind of situations, and
> do I have a good reason to be awfully shy about doing this ?

I have been on zfs mailing lists for many years and few of the issues
reported have been due to ZFS.  Usually problems are due to failing
memory, bad cables, and SATA drives on SAS expanders.  SAS disks work
better in large arrays.

There have been people running several hundred disks without problem.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/