Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 23:59:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: follow-up to kernel compile problem...

Just thought of a question with this list of "things to do"...

Shouldn't you install the new libraries before compiling the
kernel itself?  And what about the new include files?

On Sat, 25 Nov 1995, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >	So, each time that current updates, I'm going to have to
> >make world to keep it in sync?  Can I do a make world on a live
> >system, if that is the case...or do I have to shutdown into single
> >user mode?  someone had mentioned that they are going into single
> >user mode each time *shrug*
>
> >	If so, what would be recommended procedure to do this with the
> >minimal downtime?
>
> >	cd /usr/src
> >	make
> >	shutdown
> >	kernel -s
> >	make world
>
> 	# read all changes in /usr/src/etc and adapt them to your /etc
>
> 	# if config sources have changed
> 	cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config
> 	make depend
> 	make
> 	su
> 	make INSTALL='install -C'
> 	exit
>
> 	# if config data files have changed
> 	cd /sys/i386/conf
> 	config -n YOURKERNEL
>
> 	# if kernel sources or kernel config have changed
> 	cd /sys/compile/YOURKERNEL
> 	make depend		# if anything relevant has changed
> 	make
>
> 	# if the kernel binary just changed
> 	su
> 	mv /kernel.old /kernel.veryold
> 	cp -p /kernel /kernel.old
> 	cp -p kernel /
> 	shutdown
>
> 	# if headers have changed
> 	cd /usr/src/include	# repeat this for other header dirs as necessary
> 	make depend
> 	make
> 	su
> 	make INSTALL='install -C'
> 	exit
>
> 	# if lib sources have changed
> 	cd /usr/src/lib
> 	make depend
> 	make
> 	su
> 	make INSTALL='install -C'
> 	exit
>
> 	# if any user sources have changed
> 	# do this one directory at a time if only a couple of things have
> 	# changed and you know what they are
> 	cd /usr/src
> 	make depend
> 	make
> 	su
> 	make INSTALL='install -C'
> 	exit
>
> 	# occasionally repeat previous step and/or do it for the whole tree
> 	# in case you missed something.
>
> 	# very occasionally repeat previous step in case the makefiles
> 	# missed something.
>
> 	# put INSTALL=install -C in /etc/make.conf to save typing
>
> Bruce

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.