Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 1996 13:26:43 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   perl compiler

 Well I wasn't sure if anyone is interested ... but if anyone was I
 was sure it would be somone here. The security implications are
 enought to have warrented me looking at this immediately.

 I have just compiled the alpha version of the perl compiler. I have
 run some tests and there good points and bad points:

 Good 'ole "Hello World." took 448K of disk space ( OUCH! )

 however a program that started with 17k of perl code only compiled to
 770K of executable. So that for each K of perl code it created ~18k of
 executable.

 It seems to support lots of neat perlish things... but one thing that
 i have not been able to get to work is ndbm format. I will continue
 to see about that ( since alot of my code depends on it. )

 For those interested, you must d/l and install at least version 5.002
 of perl. There is a patch that you have to add to get it to compile
 with the compiler... so get both the compiler source and the perl
 source at the same time.

 The compiler source can be found at:
   http://www.oasis.leo.org/perl/exts/perl/Compiler.dsc.html

 And the perl package is in it's usuall place:
   http://www.freebsd.org

 The compiler compiles outta the box...  there are two steps to
 it use:

 /usr/local/bin/perl -MO=C tms.pl > tms.c
  This creates C code... not very readable ... but it's there

 /usr/local/bin/perl /usr/local/pcompiler/cc_harness -o tms tms.c

  If you are having problems, make sure that you have copied the .h
  files and the library created at perl compile time to
  /usr/local/lib/perl5/i386-Freebsd/5.003/CORE

 Good luck and have fun.

  -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?