Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:27:15 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "J. C." <sell120@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Step by step securing web server/ A/V live streaming

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 04:30:44PM -0700, J. C. wrote:
> I am a newbie and wanted to know if FreeBSD is the
> most secure OS?  I want to use it as a web server and
> nothing else.  Is there a step by step method of
> locking the OS down.  Any books or links?

You really must get out of the mindset that says just because I'm
using software package "foo", I'm secure.  It's not the software that
secures the machine, it's the Sys Admin.  Which is to say that you can
start with the best and most respected software on the planet and by
not configuring it with due care and attention turn it into something
with about as much integrity as a wet paper bag.

However, FreeBSD is a good choice for setting up a secure system.
Correctly configured it can be one of the most secure of the readily
available operating systems available.  As for texts and other
resources to learn about securing computers, there is a great deal
available all over the web, which you can Google for yourself.  A good
general text, which should give you the sufficient of the basics to
know what to Google for, is "Computer Security Basics", Debby Russell
and G.T Gangemi Sr, O'Reilly and Assoc. 1991 --
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/csb/

> If I am doing Microsoft Media video/audio streaming
> 640x480 300kbps streams what kind of computer can I
> use? There will be about 2000+ users connecting to our
> website where they can watch the stream that will be
> embeded in the webpage.

Unfortunately, here you are S.O.L.  At the moment, you have to use a
Microsoft server to do MMS.  There was a recent announcement from
RealNetworks about their open sourcing much of their portfolio --
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/07/22/OSCON_day1.html --
which does offer the promise of support for serving some Windows Media
formats from all our favourite OSes.  Don't get too excited though ---
the announcement has only just been made, and it's possible there will
be some sort of legal wrangle between Microsoft and RealNetworks over
the WMS stuff.

> In the above case does the streaming server have to be
> big or the web server or both?  If someone could give
> me specs on what kind of cpu to use for both it would
> be most appreciated.

Separate streaming and web servers sounds like a good idea to me.  As
for the spec on those machines, we can't tell you anything meaningful
without knowing how much data and how many files you need to pump out
every minute.  You also need to consider such things as whether your
architecture requires a back-end RDMS: should that be on the same box
as your web server, or on a separate machine?

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK