Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2013 00:40:13 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   Re: zfs upgrade hang

On Sep 20, 2013, at 5:27 PM, Teske, Devin wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> Seem to be having an issue with "zfs upgrade" hanging.
>=20
> Please note that "zpool upgrade" seems to be fine... it's "zfs upgrade" t=
hat hangs.
>=20
> The system is 8.4-STABLE @ r255470M amd64.
>=20
> The dataset versions prior to upgrade are 3 and after upgrade are 5.
>=20
> It doesn't always hang. But once it does, it's always in the following ^T=
 state:
>=20
> 	tx->tx_sync_done_cv
>=20
> You can let it sit there for minutes or hours, but it never completes or =
enters a
> different state. Also, you can't Ctrl-C it, you can't Ctrl-Z it, you can'=
t kill it, not even
> with `-9'. Further, anything like "zfs list" will hang. All the meanwhile=
, the filesystem
> is readable and fine.
>=20
> The sure-fire way to hit this for us is to attempt a "-a" or "-r" or "-ra=
" to do many datasets
> at once.
>=20
> However, doing one dataset at a time will work... until it too leads to t=
he same state.
>=20
> Once we hit this state (hung upgrade) we have to reboot.
>=20
> We've been able to get through all the datasets on a box by doing one-at-=
a-time and
> rebooting when one hangs and ends up in this state but it's frustrating b=
ecause we can
> usually only do a handful at a time before hitting the problem.
>=20
> Scripting it won't help.
>=20
> Also, we've tried unmounting the filesystems prior to upgrade too, that d=
idn't help.
> Updating libraries/binaries to r255747 didn't seem to help either. I gues=
s next step is to
> update the kernel to latest stable/8 (which is probably not far ahead of =
r255470).
>=20
> Advice?

Before you chime-in, I think I might have more to add to the puzzle.

It would seem that the LSI-RAID1 pool is the problem.

We always hang when trying to execute "zfs upgrade LSI-RAID1" despite the
fact that we've done a "zfs upgrade" of everything underneath it.

We've also done a "zfs upgrade" of other pools and their descendants on the
same system without this hang.

So I was thinking... what makes the "LSI-RAID1" pool different from, say, t=
he
"NEC1_POOL_A" pool.

The answer is mount-point.

LSI-RAID1 does not have a mountpoint, while everything else does.

Here's the layout we have:

hvm2b# zfs get version
NAME                                            PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
LSI-RAID1                                       version   3        -
LSI-RAID1/vm                                    version   5        -
LSI-RAID1/vm/golden0                            version   5        -
LSI-RAID1/vm/golden0@pre-cfg0-snap1             version   3        -
LSI-RAID1/vm/golden0@non-cfg0-snap1             version   3        -
LSI-RAID1/vm/golden0@zxfer_4709_20130905025825  version   3        -
LSI-RAID1/vm/ipu0c                              version   5        -
LSI-RAID1/vm/ipu1c                              version   5        -
LSI-RAID1/vm/ipu2c                              version   5        -
LSI-RAID1/vm/oos0c                              version   5        -
LSI-RAID1/vmbak                                 version   5        -
LSI-RAID1/vmbak/vm                              version   5        -
NEC2_POOL_B                                     version   5        -
NEC2_POOL_B/oos0c                               version   5        -

As you can see, while trying to work around this hang, we've been able to
upgrade all the datasets with the exception of the one culprit (at the top).

So...

Did I discover a bug? Perhaps relating to "zfs upgrade" touching datasets t=
hat
don't have a mountpoint set?
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.