Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:55:09 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: powering down

At 09:35 PM 9.26.2002 -0400, John Bleichert wrote:
>Hello All
>
>Is there any way to get FreeBSD to actually shut off my hardware? It won't
>do so on any of my boxes using 'shutdown -h now'.
>
>Just curious.
>
>Thanks - JB
>

>#  John Bleichert
>#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg

You'll need to make these changes:

==>to the kernel -- comment out the first line and add the second and
recompile the kernel
# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
#device         apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power
Management
device         apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management

==>to the rc.conf -- add the line below
apm_enable="YES"

After you reboot, you should be able to use "shutdown -p now" and it will
turn off the machine. Look at the dmesg after the boot to see if you see
the "apm" onboard stuff. Check your BIOS too.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net