Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:12:29 -0400
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   installworld via read-only NFS fails!

Howdy...

I set out to update some of my servers to the latest -stable (currently
running -stable pre-3.1).  I have one server (which I call the "build"
server) where I cvs down the latest sources and do a 'make buildworld'.
/usr/src and /usr/obj are read-only exported.  I mount these on each of
my other servers and do a 'make installworld' to install the upgrade.
This usually works fine and dandy, but today...

... while installworld was chewing on perl I got this:

Skipping /usr/libdata/perl/5.00502/mach/POSIX.pod (unchanged)
Skipping /usr/libdata/perl/5.00502/mach/POSIX.pm (unchanged)
Writing /usr/libdata/perl/5.00502/mach/auto/POSIX/.packlist
Appending installation info to
/usr/libdata/perl/5.00502/mach/perllocal.pod
cd /usr/obj/u/src/FreeBSD/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/ext/SDBM_File ; make
-B install  INSTALLPRIVLIB=/usr/libdata/perl/5.00502
INSTALLARCHLIB=/usr/libdata/perl/5.00502/mach
cd sdbm && make all
rm -rf libsdbm.a
rm: libsdbm.a: Permission denied
*** Error code 1

It would appear that the perl install routine is trying to do a
non-read-only operation here... something it doesn't usually do.  Can
this be fixed?

BTW, on my build server (where /usr/src and /usr/obj are local) I _did_
successfully run an installworld, so it _works_, but it seems to not be
"read-only clean" at present.

Thanks!
--
---

  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx