Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:26:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   laptops

Greetings fellow newbies:

I have 2.2.5 on my new Toshiba Satellite laptop.

The credit card modem does not work. It gets probed as zp which
I read in Greg's book is an interface, not a device.

I had hoped that reinstalling from scratch with the PAO-boot.flp
would fix the problem. It said it was configuring the credit card modem,
but User PPP can't find it. User ppp needs a device name, and the modem is
plugged into an interface. I'm writing from Windows95 for the time being.

This will undoubtedly require a kernel re-build. Anyway, I'm waiting for
advise from the experts at freebsd-questions.

I don't have room for X and emacs seems to want to use an X resourse, so I
uninstalled it. I am getting by with pico and uemacs for the time being.

Ken