Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 2008 15:15:59 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Redd Vinylene <reddvinylene@gmail.com>
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: src.conf: WITHOUT_SOMETHING]

Subject: Re: src.conf: WITHOUT_SOMETHING
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 18:34:59 +0200
From: Redd Vinylene <reddvinylene@gmail.com>
To: Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>

>> Redd Vinylene wrote:
>>>
>>> Let's say I add WITHOUT_SOMETHING to /etc/rc.conf, and remake and
>>> reinstall my world.
>>>
>>> What will happen to the previous install of SOMETHING? Will it be
>>> removed or just left there to rot?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>
>> Do you mean /etc/src.conf?
>>
>> See build(7), particularly the delete-old and delete-old-libs
>> targets.
>>
>> Kevin Kinsey
>>

> That is really awesome, thanks guys!
>
> Yes, /etc/src.conf. Does this look alright for a dedicated FreeBSD
> server? It runs jails, named, www, smtp, pop3, imap etc. I want to get
> rid of everything I don't need:
>

> WITHOUT_ACPI
> WITHOUT_ASSERT_DEBUG
> WITHOUT_ATM
> WITHOUT_AUDIT
> WITHOUT_AUTHPF
> WITHOUT_GAMES
> WITHOUT_I4B
> WITHOUT_INFO
> WITHOUT_IPFILTER
> WITHOUT_IPX
> WITHOUT_KERBEROS
> WITHOUT_LIBKSE
> WITHOUT_LPR
> WITHOUT_NCP
> WITHOUT_NETCAT
> WITHOUT_NIS
> WITHOUT_NLS
> WITHOUT_NLS_CATALOGS
> WITHOUT_PROFILE
> WITHOUT_RCMDS
> WITHOUT_SENDMAIL
> WITHOUT_SHAREDOCS
> WITHOUT_SSP
> WITHOUT_USB
> WITHOUT_WPA_SUPPLICANT_EAPOL

Reed, I'm not expert enough to comment on what you've
top-posted here (the contents of src.conf related to
your needs).  It does look like both of us forgot to
do the normal "reply-all" so I'm posting this back
to the FBSD Questions list.  I will mention that
not having sendmail, you may break something (but
I'm not sure if that particular knob means that there
will be no local mailer at all).  Cron(8), for example,
uses a local mailer to notify you of cronjob output,
and having cron work is a Good Thing(tm) in my experience
as a sysadmin.

KDK
--
I came to MIT to get an education for myself and a diploma for my mother.