Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:29:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Marc Rogers <marcr@shady.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DoS attack - advice needed

> Blocking icmp in cases such as these will only cure the symptom, not the
> disease. In addition you score an own goal, as by blocking that kind of traffic
> withing your own network, the attackers still get to saturate your line(s) and
> you are less likely to see some of the "clues" that can help you identify the
> perpetrator.

Do *NOT* block ICMP point blank at ALL. If you need to filter certain
type's and code's, fine. But NEVER slap an embargo on the entire ICMP
protocol. The mentality to do this blows me away every time I hear it
uttered from people.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"