Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 95 17:25:50 PDT
From:      BRUCE@AIIAD.COM
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   start tcp

Hi
Just got finished with install.  cant ping except
myself, addressing seems ok except the machine did
add net 224.0.0.0 which I dont understand. using
3com etherlink III. I saw the note on the web about
probs with this.  I also saw the tutorial page on
this 3c509b and went through it. are there other
probs besides this ? should I not be using it at
all.  it's about all we use on our entire lan. by
using dmesg | grep 0x300 I saw that other things
were not probed because of address conflict, but
not the other way around, like in the tutorial: I
did not find that ep0 was not probed because of
something else.

also 'link2' was not on the line in the existing
hostname.ep0.  when I added it, I couldnt even ping
myself.  turns out ep0 wasnt found at 300, and
niether was anything else.

could you tell me if the  usenix paper
docset is readable if youre not a unix expert? does
it point out for you what's important to set up and
what components are involved in which goals, as
opposed to being just a big list of features? I am
a programmer and I have some xenix exp.

Thanks very much

Bruce Goldberg
----------------------