Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:15:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        Kyle Mobley <kyle@mobley.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mistake: change in problem

Hi!

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Kyle Mobley wrote:

> I just sent an email regaurding a Sound Blaster 16 setup problem. In the
> email I mentioned that the kernel loads the controller and device just
> fine. Well I have to take that back. I just compiled in support for
> USB because I just got a new USB keyboard and mouse, which by the way
> are working lovely. Anyway now the controller and devie drivers for the
> sound card are not picking up the Sound Blaster at all.
>
> here is my dmesg
>
> sb_reset_dsp failed
> sb0 not found at 0x220
> sb_reset_dsp failed
> sbxvi0 not found
> sbmidi0 not found at 0x330
>

> It looks as though I don't have defined in the kernel snd0, however
> I do:
>
> controller      snd0
> device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
> device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
> device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
>
> Anyway Sorry for the second email but I had to give an update.
>
> Please let me know,
Well, I have an SB64AWE and it works fine for me with 3.2-STABLE, I'm just
listening to net radio over it now.:-)
(I have not
tried it yet with 3.3-RC, though)

But to get it to work I needed to do some tweaking and the howtos and
Handbook do not speak the same language on this. Anyway here is my kernel
config:

#Soundcard support
controller  snd0
device      sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device      sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
device      sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
device      opl0 at isa? port 0x338

This way my SB64 works as an SB16 so I think yours should also...although
/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/snd/CARDS says that the VIBRA is not fully supported
but the doc is from January this year so maybe things changed...

My dmesg says:

sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.16>
sbxvi0 at drq 5 on isa
snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.16>
sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
snd0: <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
opl0 not found at 0x338
(yeah, I'll have to debug the last line, but I've been too lazy for
that and it used to work earlier:-)

However, there is one thing you should know: this card is ISA. If you have
a PCI card then thing may be different but I do not know in what ways.
(Perhaps it should be auto-detected?)
Also I do not have USB here (yeah this is a very obsolete computer, almost
a year old:-)

So maybe you can try this and see if it helps...if not than get back to me
I'll try to help...

> -Kyle
Greetings:

Szilveszter Adam